Thirsty

Friday, January 13, 2006

Daniel Barenboim

Daniel Barenboim was in town - and on the news. First time I ever heard of this genius pianist and conductor, but the small news item was enough to convince me that this man needs to be listened to. That goes as much for his musical virtuosity, as for his statements on intercultural exchange, identity, peace, and the Palestinian conflict in particular. A few quotes:

On the Isreali-Palestinian situation:
Accept the fact it is not one people only that has a special relationship with this part of the world, there are two people. And that this part of the world is very small. Therefore the destinies of the two people are inextricably linked.

On his Western-Eastern Divan:
The West-Eastern Divan first of all provides a forum for young Israelis and young Arabs to be able to tell their narrative in front of the enemy and to hear the enemy tell his narrative, having also shown that they have something in common, which is the passion for music. It's not more than this.

On cultural identity:
I'm a Jew, I'm an Israeli, I'm also Spanish, and I'm Argentinian, and I'm a musician. I have many identities, and I think it's wonderful.

It sure is.

For more wise words, check out Barenboim's online journal.

, , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home