Thirsty

Friday, November 12, 2004

Children


FBI12_KIND.MM
Originally uploaded by Yptucide.
I'm 24 years old. When my dad was as old as I am now, I was born. Would I be ready to have kids? Financially or realistically, no, for the obvious reason that one not only needs a stable income, but also a mother. ;o)

But hypothetically speaking, would I be ready for it emotionally? I haven't got a clue. Maybe because it's absolutely not likely that I'm going to have kids in the near future. Of course, when I was dating my ex-girlfriend, I thought about it and I must say, emotionally I felt ready. But having kids and actually raising them to be grown-ups is the biggest responsibility a human being can bear. Taking care of your own blood, personified in those small individuals, protecting them, making them happy...respect and thanks to my parents for raising me.

It's a strange thing, but sometimes I have this feeling that the world, the sky, wants me to think of some specific thing, some specific phenomenon by pointing it out to me on several occasions in a row. A couple of weeks ago, it was about suicide: increased news coverage on suicide on the Japanese news, the suicide of my friend, the movie Sylvia....Recently, the main topic has been the fragility of kids. I was watching the Japanese news the other day, they were covering the recent earthquake in the Niigata prefecture, the consequential sad loss of a 3 year old girl and the death of a 12 year old girl. They filmed her teacher trying to address his pupils on the matter. I started crying, thinking of my own sister, 7 years old, and the most precious thing I have on this world. Yesterday, I watched Man on Fire starring Denzel Washington who is out to revenge the kidnapping of a young girl he was supposed to protect. Felt tears again. Today, I woke up and read the Belgian news, stating a 2 year old girl (see picture) that had gone missing was found murdered.

Anger, sadness and a will to protect, maybe that's what the world recently wants me to feel.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home