Thirsty

Thursday, March 06, 2008

Headphone universe

A lot of people on the street with headphones on today. Not that they weren't there yesterday or the day before, but because I was one of them. It's like when I was a kid, I really wanted a Lego space train, and all of a sudden I began seeing hundreds of references to the Lego space train all around me, as if the world was telling me get your parents to buy this for you. Or even more concrete perhaps, when my parents had just bought a new car, we noticed a lot of people driving around with the same car. It's like the tentacles that spring from within your brain become more receptive towards certain specific impulses. Or maybe it's vice versa even: it's our brain that echoes outward ripples. Maybe it's a little bit of both? I guess that's why Freud saw phallic shapes in all kinds of man-made artifacts. Behold, the awesome powers of the self-fulfilling prophecy. Just like headphones immerse your mind & body into your own private universe and leave you happy and drowning. We're all wandering about in the same streets, we're all seated in the same train, but the state we're in is so unique that the outside world is nothing more than the background curtain of our own drama. Maybe tilting the camera way up and zooming out, we could see reality as it is: people as tiny moving dots, cores of circularly radiating waves, and in between the void, the objective void paved with streets and traffic signs.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home